The Center for Caregiver Advancement (CCA) is the largest provider of training for long-term care workers in California. Our mission is to build the workforce of highly trained caregivers that many Californians can’t live without. We will champion training for all caregivers and make it universally accessible. We believe that trained caregivers will be respected and valued professionals who have been proven to enhance the quality of life and save money for our overburdened healthcare system. Our efforts will create jobs and upward mobility for the millions of people who are needed as caregivers in California. With the wave of the baby boomers in or approaching retirement age, 10,000 people will turn 65 every day for the next 15 years, which creates systemic pressures and the need for growth of the long-term care workforce. CCA is working to enhance the skills of direct care workers, who are predominantly women of color and immigrants, that are needed to support this diverse aging population.
The Education Fund is a Taft-Hartley ERISA fund, where skilled nursing facility workers receive training as a benefit. As a labor management partnership, nursing home employers and SEIU Local 2015 work in partnership to support training programs for workers who are members of the bargaining units in approximately 80 facilities across the state. We provide skill building classes and certifications that both expand worker skills and help them maintain their licensure.
Date of Issuance or Revision: 05/13/2021
Employment Status: Full-Time
Reports to: Senior Director of Programs, Education Fund and/or designee
Position Summary: The Education Fund Program Manager will manage the operation of various Education Fund programs, such as our High Road Training Partnership through the California workforce Development Board, including coordinating with recruitment, instruction and managing vendor relationships. Leads and supports the programs team in the full cycle implementation of programs. The Senior Director of Programs maintains oversight of all of the Education Fund programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works in collaboration with Senior Director of Programs and/or designee to establish impactful programs, including recruitment and instructional strategies that respond to the needs of skilled nursing facility workers and employers.
• Build and foster relationships with SEIU Local 2015, workers, and skilled nursing facilities that educate individuals about our programs and benefits of these programs to both employer and worker, as well as to understand what needs employers and workers have.
• Works in close coordination with labor unions, skilled nursing facilities, workers, and community partners to ensure that outreach efforts have the breadth, depth, and impact needed to best support nursing home workers.
• Develops, prioritizes, and implements project plans whose focus is on recruiting nursing home workers into courses that help maintain their certifications and improve their skills.
• Ensures that there is cohesion between programmatic, recruitment, and instructional work.
• Promotes and facilitates communications between programs, recruitment, and instruction.
• Monitors ongoing projects to ensure that all project deliverables are met.
• Provides supervision and guidance to a team of Education Fund Field Staff, providing support and guidance.
• Responsible for developing, auditing, tracking, and meeting program deliverables and deadlines.
• Supports Senior Director of Programs and/or designee in leading joint meetings with Instruction and Field Team.
• Analyzes data to identify needs as it relates to planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating the program, and develops program reports based on analysis of data.
• Works closely with the Data Team to ensure that data is collected and analyzed in a way that meets our program targets.
• Supports Senior Director of Programs and/or designee in streamlining processes.
• Other duties assigned by the Senior Director of Programs and/or designee.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Bachelors’ degree in Human Services, Social Work, Healthcare fields and/or, Non-profit
• Management or related field; Master’s degree
• Minimum four years of experience working with a labor management organization, labor union, workforce development, job training programs work, experience in popular education, organizing frontline communities, or social justice organization.
• Comprehensive understanding of the issues of workforce development in today’s job market for skilled nursing facility workers.
• Minimum three years of supervisory experience.
• Track record of executing successful strategic plans.
• Experience with community-based recruitment preferred.
• Bilingual, Spanish preferred.
• Exceptional writing and presentation skills.
• Experience in developing or administering training and education programs for adult workers, community organizing, or educational outreach.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, experience with diverse audiences with the ability to exercise discretion in composing and delivering communications in a culturally sensitive way.
• Exhibit collegiality and diplomacy within a team environment, display good work ethics and a mature understanding of cultural diversity.
• Ability to work in a team environment, use tact and diplomacy and exhibit problem solving skills, as well as multi-task and work well under pressure.
• Demonstrate compassion, competency, and professional accountability for interactions with workers, employers, unions, stakeholders, colleagues, and others.
• Ability to anticipate issues and use appropriate judgement to plan solutions and manage obstacles as they arise as well as escalate to Senior Director of Programs.
• Excellent problem solving, planning, and organizational skills.
• Highly organized and detail-oriented, proactive, and results-oriented with the capability to work collaboratively handling multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
• Flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as needed.
• Possession of valid CA Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
• Strong commitment to social and economic justice.
• Commitment to the goals, mission, and values of CCA.
Extent of Supervision Received: Operates independently on routine assignments. Minimal supervision should be required for the person who is handling the essential functions of this position in a competent manner. Moderate supervision with minimal instruction may be required for special non-routine projects. Exercises a high degree of independent initiative and decision-making.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Employees must recognize that working in the non-profit environment is demanding work, which sometimes requires working long or irregular hours.
• Frequently required to stand, when facility visits resume.
• Frequently required to walk, when facility visits resume.
• Continually required to sit.
• Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
• Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl.
• Continually required to talk or hear.
• Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard.
• Frequently lift/push/carry up to 20 pounds.
• Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, when field work resumes.
• Occasionally remain in a stationary position 50 percent of the time.
• Frequently drive to multiple locations to recruit or attend meetings.
• Occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
• Frequently move about outside of the office in the field for recruitment, delivery of class activities, etc.
• Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: computer, printer, telephone, calculator, keyboard, fax machine, iPad.
Salary and Benefits: $70,000 – $85,000/annualized based on experience. Excellent benefits including 100% employer paid medical, dental & vision for team member and family, defined benefit pension plan and 401K plan. Company also offers a generous time off holiday schedule. Vacation and sick leave also available.